Rent & Money

Support and advice

We understand that budgeting on a low income can be a challenge and that sometimes changes in circumstances can cause financial difficulties. We aim to treat anyone experiencing financial difficulties sympathetically and fairly.

If you are seeking financial support but cannot find the information you need on our website, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

What should I do if I’m having financial difficulties?

  • Contact us, we’ll endeavour do all we can to help you. The sooner we know about any problems, the easier it is for us to help you
  • Get independent advice – ask an organisation like the Citizen’s Advice Bureau to help you, or we can signpost you to an agency for independent advice
  • Don’t ignore the problem – it won’t just go away
  • Don’t jump into high cost credit, consider other options like your local Credit Union (click here for more information)
  • If you think you may be entitled to housing benefit, apply. Give all the information needed to assess your claim, or your payment could be delayed
  • Get a receipt for completed forms or letters you have completed – especially about your Housing Benefit claim
  • Keep us up-to-date with information about your benefit claims
  • If you have made a claim for Universal Credit DON’T forget to add in your rent to claim Housing Costs
  • If you are behind on your rent, make an agreement with us to pay off any arrears at a rate you can afford – and stick to it

What happens if I’m in rent arrears?

We take rent arrears very seriously, so if you fall behind with rent we will take prompt, helpful but firm action. We will give you as much help as possible to sort out the problem.

We will ask you to clear your arrears straight away. If for some reason this isn’t possible, we will agree on repayments that take into account your income and commitments each week/month. This agreement will be confirmed in writing. As long as you keep to the agreement, we won’t take any further action.

We can also put you in touch with agencies that specialise in debt advice. They give advice on benefits and other ways of increasing income or reducing outgoings.

Failing to keep an agreement could ultimately result in you losing your home. Whilst there are unfortunately times when we have to take this action, we do not want to reach this stage, so please co-operate with us to allow you to stay in your home.


There are various community, local and national services that offer financial support or advice free of charge, including:

Food Banks

The number of people using food banks is on the rise. With changes to the welfare system and some people having to wait over 6 weeks for their benefits under the changes, food banks have become a lifeline to many.

There are local foodbanks available in Exeter, Exmouth, Crediton, Newton Abbot, Dawlish and Teignmouth.

If you think you might be eligible for food bank support, please get in touch with us and we can provide you with further information and may be able to refer you to a local food bank.

Other widely accepted referral agencies (those who can provide vouchers for 3 days’ emergency food at a foodbank centre) include:

  • GPs
  • Citizens Advice
  • Social workers
  • Health visitors

For further information, call one of our customer service advisors on 01392 273462.